Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bicycling Philadelphia

As many of you know, I am going to be completing (hopefully!) my first triathlon in two weeks. In the process of training, I have grown to love biking. Really for the first time since I rowed in college, I have found a physical activity that I truly enjoy.

That said, I knew that I was going to miss the Lakefront Bike Path in Chicago. It was such an enjoyable place to ride my bike, plus it was safe and I had the ability to ride for long distances without riding on roads. Plus, I was going to miss taking my bike to Rockford and going on nice long rides with Nancy. When we moved to Philadelphia I was afraid that I might not find something similar here. But I've been exploring some now and I am so very pleased with what I have found. I got over my fear of riding on the roads with cars and ride my bike the .5 mile down to the bike path along the Schuykill River, which is the same river that Matt rows on. If I ride down toward Boathouse Row and follow the path all the way downtown, I can get in a 10 mile loop. I had planned to take pictures of this path today, but it was crazy busy and wasn't safe to stop. Plus I was beyond frustrated with the traffic from a rowing race and a running race.

When I got to the turn-off that I take to go home, I decided to keep going to see if I could figure out how the path connected to the Wissahickon Preserve. I almost didn't do it because I was a bit nervous, but I am so glad I did. The path is absolutely beautiful. I know that I will be riding there often. I don't know how far it goes, but I think it is about 20 miles.

Here are some pictures of the scenery. There are no captions, well because I don't really know where I was or what I was looking at!!

No comments:

Post a Comment